Making Tough, Timely and Crucial Decisions
Making tough, timely and crucial decisions is one of the hardest skills for most people. And within that, by far one of the toughest decisions to make is about personnel. The people we surround ourselves with will make or break us. Can you relate to any of these scenarios?
- Hired the wrong person
- Kept someone on the team too long and critical tasks fell through the cracks
- Their skill set wasn’t relevant anymore
- They were creating drama on the team
Most people experience one if not all of these scenarios. If you are the ON Point leader, you are expected to make tough decisions…and that includes decisions about your people. It isn’t easy to make a change, but your team and everyone in the organization is watching and learning from your leadership.
At the end of the day, it’s about winning…it’s about performance and getting results. It about building a strong team with star players, bench strength and people on the team who are going to help you and your customers WIN!
We’re all human so remember:
- It’s never easy
- The responsibility is to the organization and stakeholders
- It’s not personal
- Appreciate what they have done
- The rest of the team has been picking up the slack
- Do it sooner rather than later
The list goes on and on. If you’re expected to be a leader and perform at a high level, then tough decisions have to be made. It goes with the territory. In the long run, it is what is best for the employee and the organization.